Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 4: Singapore

Today, Amy's parents were arriving in Singapore. We arranged to meet again in the evening, so I had the day to explore by myself. I decided to attempt to go to a food stall market that my favorite hostel front desk worker, Adrian, had recommended. So I set off with my map. On the way this random guy started talking to me, and he helped me find the market. Then, as I was trying to decide what to eat, I met an older Singapore guy. He told me that this food stall wasn't so good today so I should go to Queen Street (I later realized this is where I went yesterday). Then he offered to give me a lift there in his car. He told me he was a Catholic missionary, and then he showed me a photo album in the church's car. He has done work building hospitals in Indonesia, and he has met Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul's sister.

Soon I discovered that Bernie's (what an unfitting English name for this guy) main job was massage and natural therapy. He considers himself a doctor. He took my hand and simply by feeling the pressure point told me that I don't exercise much (yeah....most definitely).

We ate roast chicken rice for lunch. He told me he would order because he could get a lower price simply by not being white. Then he offered to drive me to the Botanic Gardens. So we headed there next. He showed me the foot reflexology path. This is basically a bunch of stones in the ground that you walk in. Bernie told me that it would be quite painful for me, but his body is in balance and healthy so he could walk quite quickly over the stones (he also did 3 rounds on the path, while I did half of one). It was painful but my feet felt good afterward.

Bernie offered to give me a "treatment," which would be a massage therapy in his home. It was tempting- I wasn't sure if I would even have to pay (he kept saying that we were friends). I could go for a back adjustment. I trusted Bernie; his patients kept calling him to ask for advice and such. But in the end, since I was alone I decided it would be safest to leave. I felt a bit uncomfortable. So he dropped me off on the main fancy shopping road, Orchard Street.

It was quite an experience. I am certainly going to go for a massage this trip though, now that Bernie has told me how much I need one.

Well...off to meet Amy later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment