Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 2: Singapore

Singapore is firstly, wonderfully hot and humid. I'm loving wearing shorts and eating outside and drinking cold drinks.

If you know me, you know I have a few things I love, and one is food. I won't say I came to Singapore solely for the food, but yeah- I kinda did. As I walked to my hostel in Little India I realized just how easy it'll be to eat my way through Singapore.

So at first I arrived and panicked that I hadn't immediately made friends. Making friends at hostels is effortless, right? I sat around and watched tv, then noticed a new girl arriving. We were both interested in asking the front desk hostel guy where to go (ok ok so my question was more where to eat) and he gave us exactly what I was hoping for: a rundown of his favorites. I've heard before that singapore is boring, even sterile. But come on, you have all these fdifferent cultures coming together.

We headed to a restaurant that the hostel guy recommended- indian food. Not the fancy coffee shop, but the place across the street with plastic chairs and open air. It was simple, good, and cheap. Then we went to arab street. We went to a sheeshah place that had milk instead of water in the pipe, together with berry flavor to make it a berry cream. I had a mint iced tea, and we sat on the floor. I love that in Asia you can get food or drinks any time of night. By 11, Arab street was still serving lots of food and drinks.

My new friend was an English teacher in Korea for 3 years and australia for one, so we already have teaching in common.

Tomorrow: food food and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment