Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kuta, Bali: Surfing

Today I moved hotels and then went for my first surfing lesson. I had booked 2 nights ahead of time at the hotel I was staying at. It was okay but noisy (I'm used to noise, but still), and right above a market with rather annoying touts trying to sell me stuff every time I came and went.

I signed up for 3 days of surfing lessons with the school in the Hard Rock Cafe. First we did practice on land and in the pool, before heading out to the ocean. At first I thought it would be incredibly hard work and I was incredibly out of shape. But the pool has no waves. It's almost easier once you get out on the water with the momentum of the waves.

The instructors pushed us out into the waves. I felt pretty good since I was able to get up on my knees or get low, but that's wrong. Now my knees hurt a lot because you are just supposed to stand up. I did stand up a few times somewhat properly and I know I still have two more days with the teachers, so that's good. It's much more exhausting having the board than just swimming and body-surfing. Plus hoisting myself up on the board and using my arms a lot is quite different for me.

I had lunch, and tried an avocado juice, which I'd read about. It's delicious! Try it if you get the chance, seriously. I tried to body surf again later but I could feel the rip currents so I could only safely swim in the shallow parts.

I wanted to do yoga while I was here but there don't seem to be many studios close by. Which I think is strange. I think I'll have better luck in Legian. I'm thinking I'll head to Legian next. It's supposed to have a more relaxed atmosphere than Kuta. There are yoga studios there, and by then I should have the basics to rent myself a board and practice surfing myself. Like anything surfing just seems to take a lot of practice. I have no natural talent at most sports either. The instructor asked me what sports I do at home (uhh....). For the past year? I walked from my room to the classroom door?

One thing I don't really understand is the people who spend all day tanning by our hotel pool or at the Hard Rock Cafe pool. I mean, you have this world famous ocean right there man. I guess you can do what you want on vacation- but really?

Anyways, I have at least 2 more days here. I should get some of the photos from my surfing lessons- hopefully of me standing up on some waves- by the end.

I'm off to get another massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment