Monday, August 30, 2010

Candidasa

This morning I woke up early and was a bit sad to leave Ubud.

I took the shuttle bus to Candidasa. The drive was fantastic. Bali is so gorgeous- I kind of doubt there's an ugly part. Through rice paddies and jungle and coast and people farming and making offerings at the temples. I really enjoy scenic rides on boats or cars.

Most people got off at Padangbai because that's how you get to Lombok. I was the only one who headed to Candidasa which meant I got dropped straight off at a nice hotel my driver knew, and I'll get picked up straight from the hotel which is nice since I have heavy luggage.

My hotel is right over the water and I can see the ocean from my window. It doesn't get much better. Candidasa is kind of weird with lots of ocean front hotels without much sand or beach area (so no beachside strolling). It's gorgeous- clear water and all.

I decided to go to a white sand beach from Lonely Planet, Pasir Putih. According to LP, in 2004 there was literally no one here except fishermen. When they last updated my guide they said there are a few places to get drinks there. As of now, probably in part because of the LP guidebook, which rates Pasir Putih as a top beach, there are a few small warung (eateries).

It's still a bit tricky to get to which is probably why it's not overwhelmed with people. My hotel got me a motorbike taxi, a guy called Made (mah-day). He agreed to take me to the beach and wait there until I wanted to return. Not a bad deal!

Once again, getting there was half the fun. The scenery was breathtaking from my motorcycle perch. We wound up hills through jungle to overlook gorgeous rice paddies and the mountain in the background, until we could see the ocean.

Down "barely a road" and there was the beach. Spectacular. White sand, clear water that was incredibly blue and aquamarine. There were beach loungers and snorkels to rent, and guys who would gladly crack open a coconut for you.

My driver Made got me to sit in his friend's beach area, and he showed me where to snorkel. There was coral, lots of beautiful tropical fish, and even a barracuda! I did some swimming and some lounging, and had a coconut of course

I'm currently eating beside a lagoon, and then I think some seaside hotel lounging is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment