Monday, September 7, 2009

On Sunday night, after work, Garry, Matt and I went to what they call the "hamburger restaurant." It's just this very random restaurant that serves these little steaks on skewers, as well as potato skewers. The hamburgers are steaks on a toasted bun. But the guys were right, it's very good. And I got mine more Guiyang style, which meant they were covered in chili. It's a good way to satisfy your craving for a hamburger the Chinese way.
 
Then Matt and I went to a bar that only played music videos from the Korean pop girl group The Wondergirls. They played this one song especially over and over and over. We met some very cool people there. I mostly hung out with this one girl Summer, who speaks a little English but hopefully we can hang out some more.
 
Monday I slept in and went to lunch at Ajisen Ramen, which is a chain Japanese restaurant they also have in Hong Kong. It has a nice big window on the second floor so I thought it would be a nice place to eat by myself. They also have an English menu with pictures and tons of food. I like the restuarants here that have big windows so you can watch the action on the street below, which is always busy. Later I went to the apartments where Garry, Chris, Philip and now Caitlin live in Jongtian. It's on the outskirts of the city so it's a lot quieter with more space and parks and such out there. I was walking around with Caitlin and I heard "Megan!" It was a few of my students! They were playing on the playground out there. I was pretty excited that they remembered my name after just one class. Jongtian is about 20 minutes taxi ride away from the school but it has everything you could need there and it is very quiet and nice.
 
For dinner we went to a Brazilian buffet. I'm not exactly sure what Brazilian food is but I don't think it was this. They had people going around with lots of different types of meat on a stick that you could eat- and I mean all types, like pure fat (mmm?) and mutton and beef and sausage. Then there was the buffet- which had everything from Guiyang spring rolls to seafood to spaghetti to ice cold hard French fries served with a red sauce that was definitely NOT ketchup. And lots of little cakes and fruit for dessert. It was a very strange combination of food.
 
Today, Tuesday, my last day off. I went to the police station to drop off my passport to get my visa. Everyone at the office was very friendly and spoke some English, which was nice. I think I'm going to have a relaxing day of laundry, room cleaning, and lesson planning today.

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed similarities in all your blog entries - FOOD!! You seem to talk a lot about food. AND... you seem to eat out all the time! I wish I had that type of money and lifestyle. Oh Megan... FOOOOOD! Now I'm hungry :P

    ReplyDelete