Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Month Living in China

Well, I arrived on August 15th so I've been here about a month now, which seems strange. It's gone by really fast, that's for sure. And it really doesn't seem like a month. I am more used to finding my way around and I've been to a few places in Guiyang but I've really barely been anywhere- there is a lot more to the city. I can see what the guys mean- Chris and Garry have been here 6 months but they say it has gone by very fast, and I see how that can happen. But still, a lot has happened in a short amount of time so it's very weird. I've learned to teach, gotten new classes, started Chinese lessons, had 4 dumpling Friday dinners, spent a day at the park with Zunyi staff, and been to Qianling Park. I'm now getting adjusted to my schedule of a couple of afternoon and evening classes on Wednesday and Friday and full, long days on Saturday and Sunday.

Caitlin, the one girl teacher and one American, had to go home suddenly for a family emergency yesterday. I don't know if she'll come back eventually but she'll probably not come back for a while, at the least. Anyways, I'm a bit sad because it was nice to have a girl friend who was new like me and we explored the city a lot together. And now we also have to rearrange the teaching schedule, so I'm sure my 26 teaching hours will be completely full.

I'm sure this month will go by very fast as I have a vacation to look forward to. From September 27-October 6 we have days off for National Day. I was going to travel with Caitlin, but now I am making plans to go to Taiwan to visit my friend Kate, who is a Bryn Mawr friend teaching in Chia-yi, a small Taiwanese city. I will stop in Hong Kong, probably for a night on my way, since I have to fly through Hong Kong anyways to get the cheapest flights to Taipei. I am very excited to see Kate and to see Taiwan. I've heard that it's very scenic with lots of great food. I can also buy some English speaking books in both cities. At least in Hong Kong, I know where a lot of bookstores are.

So I am busy making lesson plans, planning my vacation, and studying Chinese. I'm hoping to really study hard and practice a lot of Chinese this month, because it will also come in handy when I'm traveling in Taiwan.

The weather seems to be getting permanently cooler here- it has been what locals and British people call "hot" but would I would call "nice." The cooler weather is good for walking around the city, though. Although today is one of the first really rainy days I've experienced here.

No comments:

Post a Comment