Saturday, August 22, 2009

Working and Making Friends

On Friday I had my second class, which was sort of...horrible. No, I mean 4-5 year olds are just crazy and I have a couple of kids who do almost nothing I say. It's quite hard to discipline kids who don't understand me. A few of them are very good and I think they are all learning something- even the worst kid learned that she has to say "Megan" to get my attention instead of "laoshi" which is teacher in Chinese. A lot of them speak to me in Chinese as if I understand even though every time I try to show them that I have no idea what they are saying. Friday night was Dumpling Friday so we went to the nearby dumpling restaurant and had everyone's favorite dishes.
 
All day Saturday I just observed lessons pretty much. I did some testing of kids, where you try to see what level they are at and that's when I met Amy, my new 12 year old Chinese best friend. She spoke really good English and she loves to talk to foreigners. She's pretty hilarious too so for testing I talked to her for a really long time. I also met Katelyn, the new American girl foreign teacher. It is good to have a friend, and hopefully we can explore the city together. I hung out with Katelyn and Amy for a while before Amy had her new class and Katelyn and I observed Chris's TOEFL class, which is teenagers and the highest level. It made me long for an older class because the kids loved to talk to us and they were quite good at English so it was a fun time. Tomorrow is like our Friday since Monday and Tuesday are our days off. I have some more observing classes and maybe some more testing. And I found out coming up we have one of the Chinese staff's birthdays and a big meeting/dinner with the Zunyi branch of our school so that should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment