Monday, August 17, 2009

Exploring

Last night I hung out with the guys at our school and got some street food-noodles which were cheap and good. Then we went out. Guiyang has a pretty happening nightlife. The locals, unlike other places in China, like to party. We played this dice game that they like to play here, and then we went to a club. It had both Western and Chinese music, flashing lights, a DJ and singers and dancers. Pretty fun for a Sunday night! (which is like the weekend to teachers who work all Saturday and Sunday). I also got to know the guys a bit, most are from the UK but one teacher is from Texas so he was excited to have another American to hang with. We were also pretty popular with random people who came to join us briefly and say "hello" and "nice to meet you."
 
Today I had totally free so I rested a bit and wandered the city. Everyone is very nice and a people will use the English they know and say "hello" or whatever. It's a modern city with lots of shopping and some Western style restaurants (including KFC, of course) as well as street food and smaller places. Very loud too with constant horn-honking and lots of traffic. Which I can of course hear from my room- on the 13th floor by the way. But I don't mind the noise because of the 30-second commute to work I get.
 
Tomorrow I have to do a physical and sign my contract, and that's all I have scheduled so I might get to do some more exploring.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so I'm totally jealous. Good luck with all the teaching. You are going to have a BALL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm commenting through your blog since china's lame and blocks facebook. Rory sent me this article, probably without even realizing you're in Guizhou right now! Turns out you're living in the place to be. :)

    www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/china/article6029112.ece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and what's your address? A postcard may find its way to your new home. I'm not quite sure where it'll arrive from yet though.

    ReplyDelete