Sunday, August 16, 2009

Settling In

Today I woke up early to do meet with Matt, who is a teacher and a supervisor to talk about the basics of teaching and the school and stuff. Basically at our school the bulk of classes are on the weekend , so today and Saturday are very busy.  The upside to working long days on weekends is that I for sure have Mondays and Tuesdays off and the week is pretty relaxed. I learned that my first class will be 4-5 year olds who speak no English, so I am trying to get ready for that. I had to do a sample lesson for my bosses which was pretty scary, but now that's over and it was fine I think. It's still a bit intimidating but I am trying to prepare the best I can and the school has a lot of materials and everyone's friendly. I am going to go observe Matt's preschool class tonight. But I am still settling in and I haven't explored the city much yet- might do that today. I want to be sure that I can find my way back and it is very hectic out there. My room is noisy and people honk their horns pretty much nonstop when driving. I don't mind since I am a heavy sleeper and I enjoy the convenience of living in the school. For lunch I went out with Maosi and Huang Min, my bosses, again. We went to a dumpling place that is close and so apparently popular with our teachers. It was very good. The food here is generally very spicy, but it's a different kind of spice than Mexican or other kinds of food- it burns your throat on the way down. So it takes some getting used to. Hopefully I will start feeling more comfortable and making friends soon. But generally I think I landed a good school and a good city.

No comments:

Post a Comment