Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to Kennedy Town

So if you've been following along in my adventures you'd know that Claire and I were very excited to go to our favorite restaurant in Kennedy Town. We took the tram, which is slow but both cheap and fun, and open air. Kennedy Town is close to University of Hong Kong (HKU) so we would often eat there or hang out around there. It's definitely a neighborhood rather than a touristy place. We got off and tried to remember where Greenland, our favorite Taiwanese restaurant, was. We wandered around and found the corner it was on- but it was gone! All boarded up and closed. I guess it was 2 years ago but it was very sad since it was a sentimental place from our HKU days. So we had to go somewhere else and headed to the Westwood mall, which was another hangout of ours and went to Chili and Spice, a Thai restaurant. It was good, I had a favorite dish of Indonesian style noodles. Then we met up with some of Claire's friends, including Sai, a Pakistani guy who is a full-time HKU student that recognized me from study abroad, and some other people I knew from HKU days. We had a lot of fun going to Wan Chai and hanging out. Wednesday is Ladies Night in Wan Chai so it's pretty busy. We went to this place, Swindlers, we used to go to. Whenever I went there were always very few people (mostly just my friends taking the place over) and creepy old guys, but now it's young and hip and has a DJ and everything. So weird. But I love all the people you meet in Hong Kong, everyone is so diverse and interesting and fun.

Today I had to go to the American Consulate in Central to add more passport pages (I only had three left!). It only took like 10 minutes which was quite nice. I decided to look for some place to eat but it was still quite early so all I could find that looked good were places that weren't open yet. I decided to go to IFC Mall, the huge big and famous (and shiny) mall near the waterfront. I went to my favorite Starbucks with its nice view of the water and found a chicken curry puff! I used to get them all the time but I hadn't seen them anywhere. It is a flaky pastry filled with green curry and chicken, so delicious. Then I met up with Claire on her lunch break.

Coming back to Hong Kong makes me wish I was moving here. But it will be good to have a different experience, at least that's what I'm hoping. I've met some people at the hostel who've been English teachers and they enjoyed it. I love random things. Like how they actually offer to split the check if you are having trouble calculating instead of at American restaurants where they get so annoyed with a split check. Or how today at Starbucks they brought me my food and gave me a cup of water at my table.

Well I only have today and tomorrow left. Tonight Claire and I have plans to go to another Anthony Bourdain restaurant, a crab place. It smelled soooo good when we passed by that we decided we'd have to go. And it is Ladies Night in Lan Kwai Fong so we will probably go to our favorite spots later from our HKU days.

Oh, so here are the pictures I've taken so far: that link should work even if you don't have Facebook. Let me know if you have any trouble with it, and there should be more coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment