Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sept 13th-16th: Sydney

Monday 13th- Sydney

I took the train back to the city Monday morning, where my friend Nicola met me. She's yet another camp friend who in fact had just arrived back from America that morning. She lives in Newtown, which is near her uni, with roommates. We toured the University of Sydney, which has a really nice traditional looking sort of campus. Perhaps we should have toured around more but I think we both enjoyed taking a break by watching Community and eating a block of Cadbury chocolate.

Tuesday 14th Sydney

Tuesday we walked around Newtown looking for a job for Nicola (good practice for what I'll be doing soon). Newtown is kind of a funky hipster type place- I like it. We met up with Nicola's friend and had Thai food for lunch. There's lots of Asian food around Newtown. It was really good. It was pouring rain and we went to her friend's house, hung out and ate dinner, and then went to see Going the Distance (at the discounted price of $11). The movie was much better than I expected. Not that I knew too much about it. I've been so out of what's new in movies and music and I've been trying to catch up in Australia, though they get everything later than America as well.

Wednesday 15th Sydney
Nicola and I took some nice Sydney Opera House photos and ate some coffee and cupcakes in the city. In the evening we went to pub trivia, a favorite activity of several of my Aussie friends.

Thursday 16th Sydney
Nicola and I had our coffee and cupcakes again and walked down Oxford Street, which is where they celebrate Mardi Gras- it's the “gay” area of the city. We had to try the kangaroo we bought for lunch so we cooked our kebabs. It's a game meat apparently so you aren't supposed to cook it over medium rare. It's supposed to be really healthy because there's little fat. We had a taste. It was alright but probably would have been better with more flavors or as a burger rather than plain. For lunch we really had pies, since apparently I had to try a pie before I left Australia. It was really delicious. And by pie I mean with meat or veggies inside. And then we basically just watched Community and hung out until I left.

I was definitely sad to leave Australia. I took the train to the airport and had a pretty easy ordeal to get on my plane. I flew with V Australia from Sydney to LA. It was pretty good. The food was pretty nice and the entertainment was great. You get your own touch screen monitor with lots of movies, both new and old, TV shows, entire albums of new music, and radio. I enjoyed it. The flight itself ended up being less than 13 hours which was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment