Monday, April 26, 2010

I saw a baby poop on the floor of the hospital....

It's another Monday after another long work weekend, and we're all
relieved because open classes are over. This is when the parents can
come and watch the classes.

It's stressful and nerve -wracking, and sort of weird because the kids
are definitely different with parents sitting in on the class. This is
the 3rd weekend of open classes I've done since I've worked here.
Sometimes the parents who speak English try to make comments about
your class, or ask the Chinese staff to relay a suggestion. Some of my
parents are English teachers or very good English speakers so that
makes it even more intense.

I was also recovering from a sinus infection last week, so I've spent
lots of time resting and lesson planning and drinking Chinese herbal
medicine I got from the hospital. The Chinese hospital is not
someplace I'd suggest going. Not that anyone would want to, I'm sure.
It wasn't so bad this time- I got seen quickly and got effective meds,
so I guess I can't complain. The Chinese hospital is just insane by
Western (or even Hong Kong) standards. Incredibly crowded, dirty, and
little to no privacy. And then , when I'm feeling my worst, everyone
is staring and pointing at the "laowai" (foreigner).

One strange thing to the foreigner is that babies here in GY wear
pants with a hole in the back and just pee/poop in the street. Or in
the hospital, which is where my title comes from.

Now I'm really restless after staying in my sick room, so hopefully
I'll be doing something exciting soon.

I can't believe it's almost May. Happy May Day to everyone from Bryn Mawr!

No comments:

Post a Comment