Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Still Exploring

These two days off after our long weekend of teaching always seem to
fly by much too fast. Luckily, it's been sunny and much warmer here-
even getting up into the 60s, which is quite nice considering the
highs barely in the 30s. I walked around quite a bit and did some
shopping. Of course, grocery shopping is never mundane in China- as I
was checking out, the old lady behind me looked through my entire
basket of stuff I was buying, even picking up and touching things. I
was buying cereal, a very foreign product, at Walmart, to be fair.
Then, I found the shelf of English books at the Foreign Languages
Bookstore, which a pretty random selection of books- mostly classics
and a few other things. I bought Freakonomics, which I've been wanting
to read for a while. It was certainly a better selection than I
thought it would be, although I'm pretty sure it's the only place to
buy English books in the city. After that, I went to a place I'd never
been- Momo Tea. I really should try to go more places, but when I'm by
myself I find myself reluctant to try and find somewhere new where I
can order/has an English or picture menu. But this is a great
discovery! It's a Taiwanese style tea place, and they also have lots
of snack and dinner foods- including sandwiches, Thai, and Korean
foods. Plus, the waiter was super excited to see me- he spoke some
English, so I could order really easily.

Otherwise, I've been attempting to start my lesson plans for
Thanksgiving weekend, and plan my big vacation in February. I will
probably be meeting up with Kate and Siggy from the 14-23, in Hong
Kong and the Philippines. If anyone will be in Hong Kong then let me
know! Or if anyone will be in Asia from Feb 1-14- I will probably be
traveling by myself during that time. It's hard to decide where to
go-so many possibilities! I am thinking about Malaysia/Thailand, or
maybe Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. I might join a tour to meet people,
still deciding. I love planning these vacations though- it's so nice
to have something exciting to look forward to!

I can't believe it's almost Wednesday- tomorrow morning I have Chinese
lessons and teach my starter class. sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment