Thursday, October 15, 2009

Taiwan Friday Oct 2

On Friday, Siggy, Kate and I rode scooters over to the reservoir. It was very beautiful, lots of greenery. We ate waffles at a restaurant there- waffles and ice cream! Well Siggy's waffle had tuna? and some other strange things. And no maple syrup, just honey and a bit of chocolate sauce. But it was great (and nai cha of course- milk tea). We went to a 2-28 memorial park. On February 28, 1947, there was a huge massacre after an uprising (by the way, Taiwanese history is very interesting- the Lonely Planet has a nice overview of it). After that, Siggy and Kate had to work from about 2-9. So I went to see a movie. I ended up seeing The Proposal again because I really wasn't interested in any of the action or horror movies. It was great, and the 3 Chinese people in the theater thought so too, haha. I picked up some post cards at the train station. Due to the typhoon, we could not visit Alishan, a famous beautiful park near Chia-Yi city. Usually, you take a special railroad there. So there are a few souvenirs there. After that, I headed back to Kate and Siggy's school to join up with Kate's class. I dramatically acted out a going to the movies dialogue (perfect timing), and all the kids imitated my angry man standing in line for the movie voice. It was great. I ate curry dumplings with Siggy for dinner, which were delicious. You don't even need to dip them in anything they are so good.

I walked around by myself. I saw a few temples and some Mid-Autumn festival family parties. When I was in Hong Kong, people likened Mid-Autumn festival to Thanksgiving in that people have big family parties. Although in Taiwan it was more like barbecues on the street and everyone setting off fireworks.

That night we headed to the big night market with another teacher from the school. This was a really fun market. Not only the usual food, and lots and lots of excellent shopping, but it's like a carnival as well. There were arcade games and carnival games and huge cartoon stuffed animals as prizes. We ate Mongolian barbecue for dinner, which was great- you choose what you want to pile onto a plate and they cook it for you. And it's where I bought a lovely leather purse and a wrist wallet. Having girls to shop with was fun! (Poor Siggy...)

By the way, pictures will eventually follow these Taiwan entries. I have lots to sort through and post...

No comments:

Post a Comment